About Huntington Park
In 1872, on this site, at the corner of California and Taylor, railroad attorney, General David D. Colton, built one of the most elaborate residences ever seen in San Francisco. The classic white wooden mansion featured an entry flight of marble steps leading to a great portico of Corinthian columns. General Colton, his wife and their two daughters entertained in the mansion with style and splendor. General Colton died in 1878 and shortly thereafter his widow, Ellen, closed the house and moved to Washington D.C. Years later, in 1915, then owner, Arabella Huntington, donated the land to the City of San Francisco, to build a park.
Due to countless generous donations, the Park has been completely renovated and upgraded over the past two years. The children’s play area has been replaced with brand new equipment. Work has been done to prune our many beautiful trees, and to contribute to the overall beauty and health of the plants and trees in the Park. Sod has been replaced, and electrical wiring has been upgraded to provide for the holiday Tree Lighting during the month of December. Our magnificent fountains have recently been repaired and restored. Our irrigation system has been repaired and upgraded. If you would like to donate to help with the on-going maintenance and enhancement of the Park, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.